If you are experiencing domestic abuse or coercive control, you have choices and the University can help and support you. The University has a zero tolerance attitude towards all forms of abuse and you are encouraged, if able, to disclose any form of current/recent/historic abuse.
Safety and wellbeing
  • If you think you might be experiencing relationship abuse, please consider creating a safety plan. You can do this with the support of the Equally Safe Team, or external support such as Women’s Aid or Men’s Advice Line. An example can be found here
  • If you need support from the University, on or off campus, call the University Security team on 0131 650 2257. This number is displayed on the back of your student card and is available 24 hours a day for University staff, students or others who need to report a serious incident that requires an immediate and urgent response by the University.
  • If you are in any danger or seriously injured call 999 immediately (or 112 from a mobile). If it’s not safe for you to speak be aware that you can call 999, listen to the operator, cough or tap the handset and when prompted press 55 – this lets the operator know it is a genuine call and you are put through to the police.

Do you have any injuries?
If you have any physical symptoms after an assault you should seek medical help. If this is more than a very minor injury, or if you were unconscious for even a short time, you should go to Accident and Emergency. If you can, it may be helpful to bring a friend or family member with you. It is up to you how much information you provide, but the hospital staff will be able to offer you better advice if they are aware of the circumstances.
Reporting to the Police
Abusive behaviour experienced by a partner or ex-partner is a criminal offence with very clear legislation (The Domestic Abuse Scotland Act 2018) which recognises that domestic abuse can take place over a long period of time and covers acts of controlling behaviours and emotional abuse.  You can report to Police Scotland at your local police station or through an online form. You can also call the police non-urgently to report something of concern or even discuss a situation on 101. The information you provide is valuable as it enables the police to identify areas of concern and patterns of behaviour that could lead to the prosecution of offenders and to ensuring the safety of the victim.

Police Scotland has also launched the Disclosure Scheme for Domestic Abuse Scotland.  You can apply to the Scheme if you have concerns about your partner’s past, or concerns about another person’s partner, to ask if that person has a history of domestic abuse or other relevant behaviour.

If you are unsure if you would like to report an incident to the Police, you can arrange a meeting with the Equally Safe Team to talk this through and explore your options. You can also report an incident anonymously by contacting Crime Stoppers.
Find out more

It is happening to someone I know

If you know or suspect that someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse it can be upsetting, and difficult to know what to do. For most people, their first instinct is to try to ‘save’ someone from the relationship, and to tell the person being abused that they have to leave their relationship. Unfortunately it is almost never that simple. There are lots of reasons why people stay with abusive partners, and leaving is often the most dangerous time for them.

It’s really important that you don’t put pressure on them to end the relationship; they can only do this when they're  ready, and there are other ways you can help her until then. It’s important that if you do suspect domestic abuse, you do not ignore it. Please refer to this guide from Scottish Women's Aid on how to support someone who experiences relationship abuse.

Support within University:

Report + Support: Students and staff can report any incidents using the University’s Report + Support platform, there is also an option to make an anonymous report.

Equally Safe Team: Students and staff members can contact the team directly at equallysafeteam@ed.ac.uk for support navigating sexual violence, harassment or other forms of gender-based violence.

Residence Life Team: Students can contact the team directly at reslife@ed.ac.uk for queries relating to accommodation, including emergency accommodation options.

Student Counselling Service: Supports the mental health and well-being of all students at the University, available through self-referral.

The EUSA Advice Place is free and comprehensive welfare rights and education service offering information, support, advice, signposting and referral to more specialist services.

Chaplaincy Listening Service offers appointments 9-5pm on weekdays, please email listening.service@ed.ac.uk to arrange an appointment, or drop by the Chaplaincy Centre at 1 Bristo Square.

External sources of support:

Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline  provides confidential information and support to anyone affected by forced marriage or domestic abuse. Phone: 0800 027 1234 (24 hour service).

Edinburgh Women’s Aid provides a range of services for women experiencing domestic abuse including a dedicated court support project, and access to one-to-one support as required. Phone 0131 315 8110 or email duty@edinwomensaid.co.uk.

Shakti Women’s Aid supports black minority ethnic (BME) women who are experiencing or who have experienced domestic abuse. Helpline: 0131 475 2399.

AMINA supports Muslim and BME women affected by relational abuse in Scotland. Support is available in English, Urdu, Arabic, Punjabi. Phone: 0808 801 0301 (Helpline Open Mon - Fri, 10am - 4pm).

Scottish Women's Rights Centre provides legal advice and access to specially trained solicitors. Phone: 08088 010 789.

Respect Men's Advice Line is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse. Phone: 0808 801 0327.

AMIS (Abused Men in Scotland) supports men affected by domestic abuse. Call the confidential helpline on 0808 800 0024.

SACRO Fearless Project  is a support service for any man, or LGBT+ person experiencing domestic abuse.

National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline
Phone: 0800 999 5428 or email: help@galop.org.uk.

Edinburgh Nightline is a helpline for students, run by students, operating 8 pm – 8 am every night of term 0131 557 4444.

Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Breathing Space have experienced advisors who will listen and offer information and advice. Helpline number: 0800 83 85 87 (Opening hours: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am).

There are two ways you can tell us what happened