If you are experiencing relationship abuse, you have choices and the University can help and support you. Staff such as the Equally Safe Team, The Advice Place, Residence Life, Counselling, the Chaplaincy and staff within your school or deanery, can all offer guidance, support and signpost you to specialist services.

The University has a zero tolerance attitude towards all forms of abuse and you are encouraged, if able, to disclose any form of current/recent/historic abuse.
Your Immediate Safety and Well-being
If you are at home or in the home of someone else – is it safe for you to leave or contact help? If not, can you seek help subtly by messaging a friend? 
If you are living with an abusive partner/family member, or they know where you live, you may wish to consider developing a Safety Plan – you can create this with the Equally Safe Team and/or download a template from Scottish Women’s Aid/Police Scotland websites. 
If you can, go to the safest area of the house avoiding rooms where you may become trapped or where there is likely to be weapons. 
If you are in any danger or seriously injured call 999 immediately (or 112 from a mobile). 
If it’s not safe for you to speak be aware that you can: 
  • Call 999 
  • Listen to the operator 
  • Cough or tap the handset 
  • If prompted press 55 – this lets the operator know it is a genuine call and you are put through to the police 

If you need support from the University, on or off campus, call the University Security team on 0131 650 2257. This number is displayed on the back of your student card and is available 24 hours a day for University staff, students or others who need to report a serious incident that requires an immediate and urgent response by the University.

If you think you might be experiencing relationship abuse, please consider creating a safety plan to plan ahead should an incident of abuse occur. You can do this with the support of the Equally Safe Team, or external support such as Women’s Aid or Men’s Advice Line. An example can be found here.

Do you have any injuries?
If you have any physical symptoms after an assault you should seek medical help. If this is more than a very minor injury, or if you were unconscious for even a short time, you should go to Accident and Emergency. If you can, it may be helpful to bring a friend or family member with you. It is up to you how much information you provide, but the hospital staff will be able to offer you better advice if they are aware of the circumstances.
University Support
  •  Report and Support: Students can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support platform. The purpose of this platform is to provide support in the event of any form of GBV. You can also choose to make an anonymous report
  • Equally Safe Team: Students can contact the team directly at equallysafeteam@ed.ac.uk for support navigating current or non-recent sexual violence, harassment or other forms of gender based violence
  •  Residence Life Team: Students can contact the team directly at reslife@ed.ac.uk for queries relating to accommodation, including emergency accommodation options. 
  •  Student Counselling Service: Supports the mental health and well-being of all students at the University, through short term counselling and referral to other support 
  • The EUSA Advice Place employs a team of advisers to provide one-to-one advice to students. It’s a free and comprehensive welfare rights and education service. They can offer information, support, advice, signposting and referral to more specialist services 

Other sources of support
  • Edinburgh Women’s Aid provides a range of services for women experiencing domestic abuse including a dedicated court support project, and access to one-to-one support as required. 0131 315 8110 or to access any services email duty@edinwomensaid.co.uk 
  • Shakti Women’s Aid support black minority ethnic (BME) women who are experiencing or who have experienced domestic abuse 0131 475 2399 
  • Respect Men's Advice Line is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse 0808 801 0327 
  • Scottish Women's Rights Centre provides legal advice and access to specially trained solicitors 08088 010 789 
  • Edinburgh Nightline is a helpline for students, run by students, operating 8 pm – 8 am every night of term 0131 557 4444 
  • Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year 
  • Breathing Space have experienced advisors who will listen and offer information and advice. Call their Helpline number: 0800 83 85 87 Opening hours: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened