Reporting to the Police: To contact Police Scotland in a non-emergency, call 101 and ask for the Public Protection Unit, or you may choose to report in person at your local Police Station. You can request to speak to a specialist officer first (from the public protection team) and then decide if you wish to report a crime. You may request to speak to a female officer (if available) if this makes you more comfortable and you may also make an anonymous report through a third party remote reporting centre such as The Chalmers Sexual Health Clinic, The Advice Place here or Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre.
Reporting the incident anonymously:  You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.
Report and Support: Students and staff can report an incident using the University‚Äôs Report + Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from a trained University Adviser. If you choose to talk to an Adviser they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence and this does not mean that you are obliged to make a formal complaint nor report to the Police. 

The Advice Place offer free and confidential support and the service is independent from the University. 
You can contact them by phone or email and if you disclose that you have been assaulted or harassed they will prioritise you seeing or talking to an adviser you as soon as they can. 
When you meet with your adviser, they will listen to as much as you want to tell them and then will help you to assess if you want or need to take any immediate action ( for example reporting to the police, moving to alternative housing, asking the University to take some immediate actions to keep you safe). This is led by you and what you want. 
If you decide to report/ complain they will support you in doing so and attend any meetings with you if you wish. They will explain all the processes to you and advocate for you during the meetings if necessary. 
Your adviser will explain all of the options with regards to reporting to the Police and the University,  make you aware of specialist support services and help you to access these if you wish. 
When you come to the Advice Place you will be believed and supported, some students choose to come and speak with an adviser and then do not wish to take any other action, that is completely acceptable, your adviser will support your choices. 

You can also choose to speak to a member of the Student Counselling Service, or a private counsellor.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened